Salmon Enterprises of Tasmania (SALTAS) is seeking a highly skilled professional to join our management team at our Atlantic Salmon hatchery in Wayatinah, Tasmania.
Our hatchery's mission is to produce the highest quality salmon smolt and eyed eggs, and to run an internationally recognised and award-winning selective breeding program to produce healthier, better-growing fish. We are passionate about environmental and economic sustainability, and we are committed to maintaining high standards of animal welfare.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- The available position is for Hatchery Manager
- This is a senior position reporting to the General Manager
- You will be responsible for managing our two commercial hatcheries including various egg incubation systems and two first feed RAS systems.
- You will be required to lead a team of 6 to 8 staff in key production events such as fertilization, laying down eggs, treatments, egg picking, ponding, vaccinations and grading, as well as transfers within and hatcheries.
- You will be leading daily planning of tasks within a RAS to ensure optimal operation, as well as ensuring the upkeep of various plant equipment within SALTAS’s biosecurity and WHS framework.
- You will need a high level of competency and knowledge of all the components of each of the RAS systems, including biological and mechanical filtration, degassing, UV filtration, Ozone supply systems, chiller operations, PLC monitoring and automation, and egg incubation systems. Comprehensive training will be provided as needed towards achieving mastery over each system.
- Working with rest of management group on stock flows and production planning.
Other duties include:
- Lead the work team to ensure the completion of daily routine, cleaning, and maintenance of both the incubation and fish systems.
- Monitoring and manage water quality of all systems
- assist maintenance team to schedule preventative maintenance and improvement projects
- Comprehensive training in Fish Health surveillance will be provided in order to assure animal welfare within the production system
- Ensure data collection and entry onto FishTalk database and Excel, as well as maintaining supporting administrative tasks.
- Lead internal research towards continuous improvement
Ideal candidates will be looking for a new challenge to further their career in aquaculture with a focus on constant improvement and development. The position requires good people skills, organisational discipline and technical mastery.
You will have:
- Reliable & responsible with a strong work ethic
- Highly self-motivated and disciplined
- Enthusiastic, passionate about fish and a positive can-do attitude
- Team player with excellent people management skills
- Able to work and respond calmly and professionally under pressure
- A good problem-solver who has a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced changing conditions of our operations
- Adherence to WHS policies to create a safe work environment for yourself and your team
- Happy to work in a wide variety of conditions, including cold winters, warm summers, and humid indoor environments
- Respect for nature and the animals in our care
- Your own transport and a valid driver's license
- A tertiary qualification in aquaculture or marine biology
- Previous experience in managing teams in a large scale commercial aquaculture hatchery environment will be advantageous
This is a full-time position working 5 days a week. Company accommodation can be available for the right candidate.
Here are some unique benefits of working at SALTAS:
- Professional Development: We offer ongoing training opportunities to help our staff grow and succeed. Those appointed to more senior roles will have the opportunity to take on greater responsibility and make a significant impact on our operations.
- Competitive Pay: We offer competitive compensation packages to attract and retain the best talent.
- Collaborative Team Environment: Our team is made up of professionals who are passionate about the aquaculture industry and working together to achieve our goals.
- Cutting-Edge Technology: We use the latest technology and best practices to produce high-quality smolt and eggs for our customers.
- Beautiful Location: Wayatinah is picturesque with stunning natural scenery. You'll have the opportunity to work in a peaceful and tranquil setting, surrounded by the beauty of nature.
If you're ready to take on a challenging and rewarding role in the aquaculture industry, we encourage you to apply to join our team at SALTAS.
If you believe you meet the requirements and are interested in working in rural Tasmania in a diversified aquaculture environment please apply today using the "Apply" button or this link: www.seek.com.au ensuring you include both a covering letter and resume/CV.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Your application will include the following questions:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Which of the following statements best describes your Covid-19 vaccination status?
- How many years' experience do you have as a Hatchery Manager?
- Are you willing to undergo a pre-employment medical check?
AUD $100,000 – $120,000 per year